“A language is a scheme of arbitrary vocal codes by means of which a social group co-operates”
· Language comes next to food. We are so intimately familiar with it that we take it for granted as we do breathing or walking.
What is Language?
· A language is a system of signs for encoding and decoding information.
· Language: a collection of symbols governed by rules and used to convey messages between individuals.
· A language is a symbolic, arbitrary structure that represents a communicator’s thought.
· The method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way.
· Different linguistics has defined language in different ways. Here are some definitions:
a) O. Jespersen defines language as a “set of human habits, the purpose of which of which is to give expression to thoughts and feelings and especially to impart them to other”.
b) According to Edward Sapir, “Language is a purity human and non-instinctive method of communicating ideas, emotions and desires by means of a system of voluntary reduced symbols.”
c) Sweet’s says, “Language is the expression of ideas by means of which speech sounds are combined into words, sentences gives answers to ideas and thoughts”.
d) According to Nicholas Hans, “Language one of the symbols of a nation. It expresses the mental character of people who speak it and reflects the features of their natural surroundings.”
e) In the words of Michael Girsdansk, “Language is a set of arbitrary symbols which are placed in orderly relationship with one another according to conventions accepted and understood by the speakers, for the transmission of messages.”