Lesson Plan of Days and Dates from the Calendar
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Read and write days and dates from the calendar.
Information for Teachers
- Begin teaching by the concept of a day. A day is 24 hour period from midnight to midnight.
- Introduce the concept of one week. Explain to them that a week has 7 days.
- There are twelve months in a year each having 28 or 29 to 31 days.
- While teaching the lesson, also consult textbook where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, pointer/stick, 2022 calendar, name of days and months list, textbook
- Tell a story to highlight the importance of calendar. The speech competition in our school will be held on 7th Preparation wills start on 25th February and last for 8 days.
- Ask students what would be the date and day of last preparation?
- What are calendar used for?
- Tell the students: Farmers need it to know when to plant and schedule other activities. In various parts of the world, the calendar tells them when to expect the last frost, and when to expect seasonal rains.
- Ask students;
- On which date Pakistan came into being?
- What is the date of birth of Quaid-i-Azam?
- Divide students in to 12 groups.
- Allocate each group one month of the year.
- Provide them with the page of their allocated month.
- Ask them to draw the month grid on the note book. For example: April, 2022.
- Explain to the students that we could find the date if we know the day of the week and the month and year can be noted from the top of the calendar.
- Similarly we could find the day of the week if we know the date.
- Demonstrate how to find the date if day, week and month of the year is known.
- For example: Date of Wednesday on third week of February, 2022 is February, 16th, 2022.
- Date: February, 16, 2022. Day on this date Wednesday.
- Give them some time for discussion.
- Ask students to find the days for the following dates from calendar.
- 23rd March, 2022.
- 6th September, 2022.
- 9th October, 2022.
- 11th December, 2022.
- 25th December, 2022.
- Students with quick response should be awarded.
Sum up / Conclusion
- A calendar has information about year, date and days.
- We can find out date from days and vice versa.
- Find the day for the date: 12th April, 2022.
- Find the date for the First Monday in the Month of May, 2022.
- What day of the week was on 28th of February 2022?
- How many Sunday holidays are there in February, 2022?
- Make a list of your friends in which days are mentioned according to their date of birth.
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in the textbook.