Disaster Safety Drills
Every human being faces different circumstances. Training emergency situations is very much beneficial. Particularly with the help of Disaster Safety Drills, life lose can be reduced.
Following are the most important drills:
· Duck / Drop, Cover & Hold
This drill of great help to save students and other staff during an earthquake, in case of cross firing or in case of bomb blast etc
1. (Drop) sit on the floor. Take shelter under the desk or table and keep your face away from the window.
2. (Cover)Put hands behind your neck to save your head.
(Hold) Keep hold of desk or table and don’t move.
· Stop, Drop & Roll
This safety drill is useful during fire eruption. If anyone’s clothes’ catch fire, he/she should stop running and walking, lay down on ground and roll his/her body. In this way, fire will be extinguished.
Implementation in Classroom
During a disaster, School Evacuation Plan and Safety Drills are centered on school children. A School Safety Plan in a school is useless till the time students and other staff of that school doesn’t know the detail of Evacuation Plan and practice drills again and again.
Teacher’s responsibilities are that he will:
· Provide complete information of Evacuation Plan
· Tell students how to evacuate from school in case of a disaster and how to take shelter in the building yard of the school in case of an extreme danger.
· Tell the students about evacuation passages and safe shelters in case of different forms of disaster.
· Depute active and agile students to take care of special children and help them in evacuation
· Inform students about safety drills measures they can take during any disaster
· Make students drill against different types of disasters
· Stress on keeping mind the difference of warning / alarms for each type of disaster so that there would be no chance of mistake in response
· From an Emergency Response Team and train students in safety drills and evacuation
· Ask students to share this plan and drills with home members and locality fellows.