Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Write sentences of their own using correct capitalization, punctuation and spellings.
Information for Teachers
· Capitalization in English grammar is the use of a capital letter at the head of a word.
· Capitalization is used for proper nouns i.e. names of people (Ahmad, Mr. Jawed), places (Bahawalpur Pure, Noor Mohall), brands (Bata, Pepsi), and events (Eid-ul-Fitr, Eid-ul- Azha), and at the beginning of the sentences.
· Names or titles of people
· Names of mountains, , hills and volcanoes
· Names of physiques of water (rivers, lakes, oceans, seas, streams and bays)
· Names of constructions, shrines, channels and passageways
· Street names
· Schools, colleges and universities
· Name of continents, provinces, countries, states, , cities and towns
· Labels of books, movies, magazines, newspapers, articles, songs, plays and workings of art
· The pronoun I
· Punctuation: comma, apostrophes, exclamation marks, full stop and inverted commas.
· Spelling: a person’s ability to spell words.
· Spelling rule for forming present continuous: if it is a vowel in the end of the word. E.g. write, make we drop ‘e’ as writing, making etc.
Material / Resources
Chalk/marker/ board, textbook, pictures, charts etc
Worm up activity
· Tell the students that today they are going to play a game. Give the following instructions to the students quietly and ask them to perform accordingly.
· (Knock at the door, count till 5, clap, jump, rub your palms, open the door, and close the door/window).
· Ask the students one by one what action he/she is doing.
· Write all the sentences on the board side by side using- ing form.
· Leave punctuation marks in these sentences (capital letters and full stop).
Ø Shania is knocking at the door.
Ø Salma is opening the door.
· Draw the following shapes on the board and use the following words.
(Girl), (city) (car)
(Expected response: The name of this girl is Shania. The name of city is Bahawalpur. The name of car is Honda city)
· Ask the volunteers to come up and act out the words to clarify the meanings.
· Ask the students to mix and match the words and make sentences in pairs.
· Recap capitalization and punctuation rules.
· Explain spellings of verb from with- ing.
· Explain to the students that we have to take one word from each bubble to make a sentence.
· Give the students examples for their better understanding. E.g. you are eating an apple. I am singing a song. Etc.
· Ask the students to make any five sentences in their notebooks.
· Monitor and help the students during the activity.
· Once the students have done this activity, ask them to check each others work for punctuation, capitalization and correct spellings.
· Ask the students to recall their and their friends’ actions during break time and make five sentences keeping in mind capitalization and punctuation rules. E.g., Boys/girls are playing in the playground.
· Monitor and help the students.
· Show them the picture in the appendix and ask them to make five sentences describing what is happening in the picture.
Sum up / Conclusion
· Ask the students:
Ø Where do we use capital letters?
Ø Where do we use full stop?
Ø What is the spelling tip for adding- ing to a verb?
· When the students have finished their activity, ask them to exchange their work with their peers.
· Check each others work for punctuation, capitalization and correct spellings.
· Write ‘sp’ for spelling mistakes, ‘c’ for capitalization, and ‘p’ for punctuation errors.
· The students glue some pictures to describe what is happening in the picture? E.g. super market, airport, market, park, playground, etc.