Lesson Plan of Common Diseases of Respiratory System
General Science Grade VII
Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Identify the common diseases of respiratory system and discuss their causes and preventive measures.
Information for Teachers
· Any disorder in the respiratory tract results in complications which ultimately lead to diseases of respiratory tract.
· Common cold, influenza or flu- this is characterized by sneezing, runny nose, sore throat, sometimes fever, headache and body pains may be felt by person sick influenza.
Material / Resources
Petroleum jelly, paper, drawing board
Worm up activity
· Ask the students have they ever experienced any respiratory disease for example, coughing, flue or suffocation.
· Ask the students to make a list of diseases of respiratory system they know.
· After the students’ response introduce the today’s topic.
· Enlist the different diseases on the board mentioned by the students then add or delete the names of the diseases as the case may be.
· Make groups of the students and allot one disease to each group.
· Ask each group to discuss what they know about the diseases shown in the list.
· Ask the students to talk about symptoms, causes, and preventive measures of disease.
· After the given time, ask them to present the working material in front of the class and encourage.
· Encourage the healthy discussion.
· Add or correct the knowledge of the students.
· Draw a table on the board and fill it
· Divide the students into groups and instruct them for the following activity.
· Ask the student to take two clean white papers and apply the petroleum jelly on them.
· Ask them to fix one paper on the drawing board and put this paper outside of the classroom.
· Ask them to place the other paper inside the class for few days.
· After 2 or 3 days ask the students to compare both papers and note down the change.
· Ask the students which paper is looking dirtier.
o What this activity shows?
o How you can correlate this activity with the problems caused in respiratory tract.
· Inform the students that the respiratory tract has a similar sticky material like petroleum jelly that can trap the dust particles, smoke and different allergens. These particles can cause the inflammation and infection.
Sum up / Conclusion
· Conclude the lesson with the help of students as: diseases in respiratory system occur due to unhealthy air having virus, bacteria, smoke and other pollutants.
· Some of these common diseases are asthma, sinusitis, lung cancer, bronchitis, influenza etc.
· Ask the following questions to assess the understanding of the students.
o What healthy habits can keep us away from respiratory diseases?
o Why do people with asthma use an inhaler?
o What happens if your lungs get damaged?
o What are the consequences of lung cancer?
· Discuss the trend of “Removal of Carpets” from living areas and ask them to discuss it with the class fellows.
· Ask the students to use the resources, library, magazines or internet at home.
· Ask the students to collect the different pictures showing the respiratory disorders from the newspaper or any journal and paste it on their notebooks.
· Guide the students to solve the exercise problems given at the end of each unit/chapter of textbook.