Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Apply strategies to comprehend questions for appropriate response by marking key word, verbs and tenses in a variety of the following questions:
0. Personal response
Information for Teachers
· Some types of questions which the students will face are; factual, personal response and interpretive.
· Questions based on facts are factual questions. They have simple straight forward answers. For example:
0. What are you doing?
1. How is this done?
2. What is the capital of Pakistan?
· Personal response questions can have different answers depending on personal experience, preferences and opinions and differ from person to person.
· Who is the best cricket player?
· Which is the best weather?
· An interpretive question can have more than one correct answer. However, the answer must be supported proof from the text.
· Why was the main character of the story angry?
· There will be some clues that can lead to this answer e.g. a dialogue, action or description of the events.
· While teaching the lesson, the teachers should also use the textbook where required.
Material / Resources
Chalks, marker, board, textbook.
Worm Up Activity
· Recap the ‘wh’ question words with students in details.
· Ask and discuss their usage with the students.
· Write the following questions on the board.
· What day is it?
· What day was it yesterday.
· Who is the monitor of the class? Who is your best friend?
· What color is the board?
· What is your favorite color?
· Ask a few students to give answers
· Under line the verb and underline the verbs and exercise the question words.
· Ask what question words tell us a hand what happened?
· Ask what question words tell us and how this information help us in answering questions more accurately (who=person, what=thing, when=time, where=place , where = place, why=reason/cause)
· Focus their attention on the tense of the questions.
· Now ask them to compare and their answer with others for the following questions:
· Who is your best friend
· What is your favorite color? There will be different answers since these questions require personal response and everybody has his/her own likes/ dislikes and opinions.
· Explain that there are some strategies which can be used to understand the questions easily and today they are going to learn that.
· Ask the students to read the given text carefully and discuss in pairs.
· Monitor and help the students while reading and discussing important points.
· After some discussion ask the students to answer the questions given at the end of the passage.
· Write answers of some questions in front of the class and ask them to comprehend and answer other questions.
Sum Up / Conclusion
· Conclude the lesson by asking them tell what type of words are key words in a question.
· Once the students have done the question answers, ask them to tell the answer.
· Write correct answers on the writing board and ask the students to note down the correct answer in their notebooks.
· Appreciate the students on correct responses.
· Ask the students to find out two, two interpretative, factual and personal questions in their textbooks or from the newspaper and write down the responses in their notebooks. Also ask them to mark the key words of each questions.
Sample text with questions for Activity 2
All things bright and beautiful;
All creatures great and small;
Everything has its colors;
Almighty Allah made them all.
Red! Blue! Green! These balloons are
Beautify because they have different
Colors. A man is selling colorful balloons.
The children are looking at them with interest.
It is difficult to choose a balloon because they look so beautiful
We recognize things by their colors.
We know that grass and plants are green.
Our hair is black.
We wear clothes of different colors.
Some school boys wear grey pants as uniform.
We can get new colors by mixing different colors.
We mix white and black colors to get grey.
Mixed colors look more beautiful.
When we mix yellow and red color, we get orange color.
Sometimes we cannot express the mixed colors exactly and call them light or dark colors.
We can see rainbow after the rain.
Rainbow display beautiful colors.
It has seven colors: violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red.
1. What makes our world beautiful? (interpretive)
2. How many colors does a rainbow have? (factual)
3. Why is it difficult to choose a balloon? Have you ever bought a balloon?
( personal / response)
4. Which is your favorite color? (personal response)
5. What colors do we mix to get grey color? (factual)
6. When does a rainbow appear on the sky? (factual)