Students` Learning Outcomes
- Recognize the function of different question words to write short answer
Information for Teachers
- Questions help us in getting information.
- ‘Wh’ question words (what, who, whose, where, which, when and why) are used to ask questions.
- Short answers are given ‘Wh’ questions.
- Students should be encouraged to make questions and also to write short answers to them.
- During teaching the lesson, the teacher should also use the textbook where required.
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, textbook, word flashcards of different ‘Wh’ questions words, Or the teacher can draw on the board
- Ask the students where they have to use the ‘Wh’ words, for example, if their friend is absent, what will you ask him/her the next day?
- Paste the chart of ‘Wh’ question words on the side of the writing board.
- Ask the students what these words are used for.
- Encourage them to give examples as well.
- Make corrections if a student makes any mistake.
- Write the following sentences on the writing board and ask the students to make questions by adding the correct question word.
- Involve most of the students in the activity;
- _____________is absent today?
- _____________do you reach the school in the morning?
- _____________is your teacher`s name?
- _____________books are on the table?
- _____________do we wear sweaters in winter?
- _____________are my shirts and shoes?
- Explain the use of each question word and make corrections on the spot so that the students know the correct function of each question word.
- Ask the students to read the following passage and answer the questions given at the end.
- Monitor and help the students while reading;
- Mt name is Mohsen Ali.
- I come from Pakistan.
- I live in Bahawalpur.
- I have five brothers and one sister.
- I am the oldest.
- I go to school Monday to Friday.
- I come home at 4 pm, eat dinner at 8 pm, and go to bed at 10 pm.
- I walk to school.
- It is very hot, so I wear a hat.
- At the weekend, I help my father in the shop.
- Now the answer are required from the above passage;
- What is his name?
- Where does he come from?
- Where does he live?
- How many brothers have he?
- How many sisters have he?
- Who is the eldest brother?
- How does he go to school?
- When does he go to bed?
- Why does he wear a hat?
Sum up / Conclusion
- Repeat for the students that ‘Wh’ questions words are used to ask questions and these questions have short answers.
- Ask one or two students to tell the function of ‘where’, ‘who’ and ‘whose’ by giving examples.
- Once the students are done with the activity asks them to tell the answers.
- Write the correct answers on the writing board and ask the students to correct their work side by side.
- Appreciate the students on the correct answers.
- Ask the students to write answer to the following questions in your notebooks:
- Why are you late for school?
- When do you clean your room?
- Where do you live?
- Who is your best friend?
- Whose country is Pakistan?
- Which is the largest5 city of Punjab?
- What does your father do?
Answer key of Activity 1