Lesson Plan of Electricity and Magnetism
General Science Grade 1V
STUDENT ‘S LEARNING OUTCOMES (SLO)
● Make a simple electric circuit.
● Distinguish between open and close electric circuit.
INFORMATION FOR TEACHER
● When a battery cell, bulb and switch are connected with the help of wires, electric current starts flowing through them. Such a connection of different devices is called
● The circuit is open when the switch is OFF.
● The circuit is close when the switch is ON.
2 periods / 80 minutes
● Battery cell, Connecting wires, Torch bulb with holder, Switch, sheet of white paper.
worm up Activity
● Ask what do we do when it gets dark?
● How do we turn on a bulb?
● What happens when we press the switch on?
● Inform the students that while entering in the home at night, we press a switch and the whole room is lighted. While going out we turn the switch OFF.
● What makes the bulb light up? When turning the switch ON, do we start using electricity?
● Do we also use electricity when we turn off the switch? (No)
● Do you know what is an electric circuit? Let us perform the following activity to find out about it.
● Give each group a set of materials [Battery cell, connecting wires, switch and bulb].
● Ask them to light the bulb by constructing a circuit with the material provided.
● Guide the students if they feel any difficulty.
● Ask the students to close the switch. Does the bulb glow?
● What passes through the wires to make the bulb glow?
● Ask the students to open the switch. What happens to the bulb?
● Ask, why does the bulb not glow when the switch is open?
● Now draw a diagram of electric circuit on the board.
● Ask some questions to make the concept of students clear.
→ What made the bulb glow?
→ What is the use of battery? [Battery make the bulb glow].
→ What is a close circuit?
→ What is an open circuit?
→ Does the current flow when the circuit is open?
→ Does the current flow when the circuit is closed?
● Make a chart or write down on blackboard for the following questions. Display it on the wall at the end of lesson and will ask the questions verbally.
→ When does a current flow in the circuit?
→ What is the basic requirement for the flow of current in the circuit?
→ Why does the bulb not glow when the switch is open?
→ Does the current flow in the circuit if the switch is open.
→ What is the use of the battery?
→ What is the function of the connecting wire in the circuit?
FOLLOW UP / HOME WORK
● Prepare a list of electric appliances used in your home.