Lesson Plan of Fact and Opinion
English Grade IV
Students’ Learning Outcomes
Apply critical thinking to interact with text using intensive reading strategies (while reading) to:
o Locate an opinion.
o Distinguish fact from opinion.
Information for Teachers
· An opinion: is a person’s own view of something that is based on his/her own likes, dislikes, personal experience, etc. thus there can be as many opinion on one topic as there are people: everyone can have a different opinion.
· A fact: is a piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have happened. Most people agree on facts.
· It is important that students learn to distinguish between fact and opinion. But it is equally important that they learn to accept that others might have different opinions and that we should respect their opinions.
· Opinion/viewpoint is never right or wrong. It is just another way of looking at a thing.
· You must show and practice this in your class by respecting your students’ opinions at all times.
Material / Resources
Textbook, chalk/marker, board, duster
Worm up activity
· Introduce the topic by providing the following pair of sentences on the board:
1. Islam Abad is the capital of Pakistan. It is a very peaceful city.
2. Monsoon season begins around July and ends in August. It is the best season of the year.
3. My friend Bilal always stands first in his class. He is the best boy of the class.
· Tell them the difference between a fact and an opinion in very simple words as you are introducing this concept for the very first time.
· Ask them to separate fact from opinion in the sentences given above. Students have to give proof or supporting details for the facts e.g. information about Islamabad is given in books but, whether it is a peaceful city or not, it is a matter of opinion.
· Ask them to comment on the other sentences and distinguish between fact and opinion.
· Help them in the next activity.
· Call 6 students for the activity.
· Make two groups of three students each and ask them to sit in front of each other.
· Give them a topic to discuss. Try to select a topic which is of students’ interest.
· Possible Topics: Mangoes, Summer, the color green, Multan (or the city where the school is)
· Ask them to discuss the topic in front of the class and ask the class to differentiate between an opinion and a fact.
· Tell them that this is the same as watching talk shows on TV daily.
· Worksheet has been given at the end of lesson plan.
· Give students the worksheet and ask them to fill it.
· Help them out with it.
Sum up / Conclusion
· Conclude the lesson by telling them that the difference between a fact and an opinion is very important. They have to differentiate between the two in their everyday life.
· Discuss with them what happens when everyone thinks that his/her opinion is a fact. (people start to argue and fight instead of accepting each others opinions)
· Now ask the class about the opinion and fact they selected in the previous activity.
Worksheet (Activity 2)
Fact or Opinion?
Write F for Fact and O for Opinion in front of each statement.
1. Dogs are my favorite kind of animal.
2. Dogs come in many different breeds.
3. I think my dog is the best dog of all.
4. Elephants eat grass, small branches and bark.
5. Blue is my favorite color.
6. Blue is the color of the sky.
7. The rose is the nicest smelling flower.
8. Roses have thorny stems.
9. The sun is actually a star.
10. Without the sun, the earth could not support life.
11. The earth revolves around the sun in 365 days.
12. I like to play in the sun.
13. My favorite season is the fall/autumn.
Fact or Opinion?
1. 1. Dogs are my favorite kind of animal (O)
2. 2. Dogs come in many different breeds(F)
3. 3. I think my dog is the best dog of all(O)
4. Elephants eat grass, small branches and bark.(F)
5. Blue is my favorite color.(O)
6. Blue is the color of the sky (F).
7. The rose is the nicest smelling flower.(O)
8. Roses have thorny stems (F)
9. The sun is actually a star.(F)
10. Without the sun, the earth could not support life.(F)
11. The earth revolves around the sun in 365 days.(F)
12. I like to play in the sun(O)
13. 13. My favorite season is the fall/autumn(O)
· Ask them to notice the conversation between their parents, uncles, aunts, etc. and make a note of facts and opinions.