Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Write guided short informal invitations to friends and family members to demonstrate the use of following conventions:
2. Date and time
3. Venue / place
4. Name of addressee and sender.
Information for Teachers
· Write the given format on the writing board and tell the students to write only the information asked, on the cards. Tell them not to draw lines and write the words in brackets.
· Revise the concept of capitalization. Tell the students that they have to write the names, places, days, months, with capital letters. For example: Ayesha, Iqbal Town, Saturday, February, etc.
· While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also use the textbook where it is required.
Material / Resources
Chalks, markers, board, textbook, colored papers of A4 size (blue, pink,red and green), glue stick, scissors, color or crayons.
Worm Up Activity
Ask the students:
· How do they celebrate their birthday ?
· Do they invite their friends, uncles/aunts to the party ?
· Tell the students that today they will make birthday invitation card.
· Ask the students to double the A4 size paper to make birthday cards. ( sample cards are attached at the end). Show these cards to the students for help.
· Ask every student to use his/her own ideas to make cards.
· Discuss, items that come to their mind when talking about birthday, For example : candles, balloons, cake, ribbons, etc.
· Monitor the students and make sure they are working on their birthday invitation cards and help those who have any confusion.
· Ask the students to write / draw on the card too how old they are.
· While the students are busy making birthday cards, write the following template on the writing board and tell them to write only the information which is being asked from them on their rough copies and then write it neatly on the card.
· Monitor the students and make sure they are writing with correct spelling and capitalizing the names, places, months and days.
Dear ( friend’s name)
Come and join me my birthday party.
Time:____________________________(write time) in the evening
Look forward to seeing you………..
Sum Up/ Conclusion
Ask the students what they have learnt from this activity of making invitation cards.
Ask them what they should write on invitation cards e.g.
0. Name of the addressee
0. Who is sending the invitation ?
0. What is the invitation for ?
0. When is the party ?
0. Where is the party ( venue. Phone number, etc.)?
0. Time of party.
* when the students make their cards and are through with writing the invitation on the cards, collect the students’ work for assessment.
* Involve the students in the solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
· For homework, the students to make another card to invite their uncle/aunt to result ceremony at school or the picnic party.
· Guide them if they have any problem.
· Tell them that they have to use the same information to make the card which has been provided by the teacher.
· Show them the sample cards.