Lesson Plan of Multiplication of 2-digit by 1-digit Numbers
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Multiply 2-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers.
Information for Teachers
- To multiply a 2-digit number by a 1-digit number, first multiply the numbers at ones place, then multiply the number with the number at tens place.
- While teaching the lesson, also consult textbook where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, chart (having steps of multiplication of 2-digit numbers), Mathematics textbook
- Write on the board:
- Call the students one by one to solve the questions on the board.
- Check the work and appreciate them.
- Write on the board:
- Ask the students, can you solve this question?
- Collect their feedback and display the following chart in front of the class:
- Explain the steps to the students one by one with the help of example.
- Solve the question on the board with the help of students.
- Tell the students that let us practice more questions.
- Write the following question on the board: Multiply 43 by 2.
- Ask the students, what will you do first to solve this question?
- Collect their feedback and tell them that first write it in vertical form.
- Call any student to solve the question on the board.
- Check the work and correct the mistake if any.
- Write some more questions on the board (without carrying) and ask the students to solve in their notebooks.
- Observe their work and guide where needed.
- Write the following question on the board: find the product of 24and 3.
- Ask any student to write it in question form on the board.
- Ask the students to first multiply 3 and 4.
- Collect their answer and tell the students that in number ‘12’, there are ‘2 ones’ and ‘1 ten’ so we write ‘2’ under the ones place and carry 1 ten above the tens place.
- Then ask to multiply 3 and 2 and add 1 in it.
- Tell the students that write ‘7’ below the tens place.
- Write the correct answer on the board.
- Write some more questions on the board and ask the students to solve in their notebooks.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Revise the concept with the help of chart used in Activity 1.
- Write the following question on the board:
- Ask the students to solve these in their notebooks.
- Count the number of chairs at your home.
- Count the number of legs of a chair.
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in the textbook.