Lesson Plan of Number Line
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Represent a given number on number line.
- Identify the value of a number from number line.
Information for Teachers
- In mathematics, a number line is a straight line which represents the marks corresponds to the real numbers.
- The number line is usually represented horizontally.
- Positive numbers are represented on the right side of zero, and negative numbers are represented on the left side of zero.
- Arrow-head on either end of the drawing suggests that line can continue indefinitely in the positive and negative directions.
- While teaching the lesson, also consult textbook where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/ marker, duster, textbook
- Write the numbers on the board:
- Draw a straight line on the board and ask the students that what is this? (straight Line)
- Mark ten points on this line at equal steps.
- Tell the students that each mark will represent a number.
- Tell the students that it is called number line.
- Ask the students what number line tells us.
- After taking their response tell that a number line represents number in specific sequence. As in the above example number line shows the sequence of numbers from 0 to 10.
- Draw a number line on the board.
- Ask the students let us represent numbers on this number line; for example 2, 5 and 8.
- Tell them that to represent these numbers, we will put marks on the number line.
- Ask the students to draw the number line on their notebooks and represent the following numbers on it.
- Now ask the students to represent the following numbers on the number line.
- Demonstrate to the students with the help of number line we can also compare the two numbers.
- Draw the following number line on the board.
- Ask the students; compare 14 and 16 using number line.
- Collect their response and elicit that number line shows that each number is greater than all the numbers to its left and less than all the numbers to its right.
- The number line shows that 14<16.
- Now ask the students to compare the following numbers by drawing number line.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Zero comes in the middle of number line.
- Number line represents numbers in a specific sequence.
- With the help of number line we can compare the numbers.
- Ask the students to show the following comparisons by drawing number line.
- Ask the students to show odd and even numbers between 0, to 20, with using number line.
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in the textbook.