Lesson Plan of Parts of Speech
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Identify and use of Parts of Speech
Information for Teachers
- Words are divided in to different kinds of classes called ‘Parts of Speech’ according to their use: that is according to the work they do in a sentence.
- Each word is actually a part of our speech. Hence, all types of words are called parts of speech.
- The parts of speech are eight in number:
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/ marker, duster, flashcards, charts, textbook
- The name of person, a place, idea or a thing is called noun. Or a noun is naming thing.
- Now show the flashcards of different things and ask the students to point out their identification.
- So what identification attribute these things are called noun.
- A word used in place of a noun is called pronoun, such as; we, you, they, he, she, it, me, us, them, him, her.
- An Adjective
- An adjective tells you what kind, how many, how much, what color etc. of a noun. The hungry fox ate 5 grapes that were green and juicy.
- A verb
- A verb is a word that shows action, being or possession. As such;
I am the king who has all the power to rule the country.
- An Adverb
- An adverb is a word that adds to the meaning of a verb, an adjective or another verb.
- A Preposition
- A preposition shows the relation of noun or pronoun to other words in sentence. As such; the bird sits on branch of tree.
- A Conjunction
- A conjunction is a joining word. As such; Bilal and Sajid love ice cream but Umar doesn’t.
- An Interjection
- An interjection is a word that shows some sudden or strong feeling. Such as; Wow; what a nice picture.
Comparison as Adjective;
- I am Jived
- I am Aslam
- I am Umar
- Aslam is taller than Umar.
- Umar is taller than Jived.
- Aslam is tallest boy in group.
- I bought a book.
- I give it to my sister.
- I worked hard.
- I don`t pass the exam.
- Is that red?
- Is that white?
- We won the match.
- We played well.
Noun & Verb
- Read each sentence. Colour the Nouns in Yellow. Circle the verb in orange.
1: The dog barked.
2: Did the birds fly away?
3: Babies drink milk from bottles.
4: The eggs sat in nest.
5: Fish swim fast under water.
6: The sun shines brightly.
- This next one is the only one without directions- I was thinking that I may have my kiddos cut out pictures from magazines for the Common/Proper Sort, or just have them generate a list of those type of nouns. I wanted to leave it open for whatever comes up!
- Discuss briefly about the parts of speech
Ask the student answer of the following question
- What are the parts of speech?
- What is the difference between a noun and pronoun?
- What are adjectives?