Lesson Plan of Past Continuous Tense
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Illustrate the use of tenses, (simple present and continuous, simple past and continuous and simple future tense) previously learnt in their speech and writing.
Information for Teachers
- Past Continuous Tense is used to describe the action which was in progress sometime in the past. Past Continuous Tense is also called past progressive tense.
Subject + was/were+ 1st Form of the verb + ing
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, flash cards of different word
Write the following sentences on the board.
- I was going to school.
- She plays in the park.
- He was eating a chocolate.
- You gave her a present.
Ask the students to identify the tense in each sentence.
Briefly discuss Past Continuous Tense
Ask a volunteer who is a good actor to come forward.
Tell the student that it is an activity in which he/she will be
Acting / expressing his/her thought without speaking.
- You were washing clothes.
- You are drying your hands.
- You are dialing a number.
- You are talking on the phone.
- You are writing some information.
- You are putting the phone down.
You wash your clothes again
The student acts out the situation given below without speaking.
The rest of the class has to tell what the actor is doing. .
After every action ask students what the boy/girl is doing
Give them the following sentences and ask them to supply past continuous. .
- We ________ not ________ a book at the moment (read)
- My father ________ to the Police officer yesterday. (talk)
- Ahmad and Ayesha ________ not _______ on the bus. (ride)
- The boy’s _____________ in the lack / pond. (swim)
- We ____________ table tennis right now. (play)
- Ahmed ____________ on the computer last week. (work)
Sum up / Conclusion
Elicit the difference between Present Continuous and Past Continuous Tense.
Write the following sentences on the board and ask the students to change them in past continuous tense.
- I watched a movie which was not interesting at all.
- Ali ran after the kitten to catch it.
- I get ready for school early in the morning.
- People laughed at the foolish behavior of Amir.
- Ahmed drives his father’s car without his permission.
Any related activities must be done from the text book.