Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Explain simple position on a picture, photograph or a map.
Information for Teachers
· Position of words or preposition tell us about the position, location or the place of things and people e.g. on, in, under, up, down, etc.
· The picture is attached at the end of the lesson.
· While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult the textbook where applicable.
Material / Resources
Board and chalk, pencil or book or any other interesting thing easily available, picture attached, notebooks, a teddy bear, a doll, a brightly colored ball.
Worm Up Activity
· Tell them that today we will all play a game.
· Place a teddy bear on the table and ask students: what are you doing?
Answer: “you are putting the teddy bear on the table”
· Place the brightly colored ball under the chair and ask about its position from the students.
Answer: The ball is under the table.
· Then, place the doll in the box and ask: where is the doll now?
Answer: The doll is in/inside the box.
· Tell them that in, on, under, inside are the position words and are called prepositions because they tell us about the position of the things/people.
· Ask them to tell any other preposition word if they know.
· Call a student and tell him/her to sit on a chair.
· Call another student and tell him/her to sit under the table/(class entrance).
· Call another student and ask him/her to place the pencil in the box.
· Ask the students to repeat the actions saying, on the chair, under the table/ desk/class, in the box for clarity of the concept.
· Appreciate the children by saying good/very good for their responses/answers.
· Divide class in pairs.
· Show the following picture to the class and ask them: “What can you see in the picture?”.
· You can draw the picture on a page/chart paper or can use the table in the class for practical demonstration and display/paste it on the board),
( possible answer: A classroom scene, a table, drawers, book, briefcase/bag,dustbin,papers,floor/tiles.
· Ask the students to discuss in pairs ( five minutes) the position of things present in the above picture using on,in,under.
1. The clock is ________________________the wall.
2. The ball i s _________________________the table.
3. The carpet is ______________________the floor.
4. The lamp is ___________________________the table.
5. The flowers are ______________________vase.
6. The book is _______________________the table.
7. The cushion is _______________________the sofa.
· Write the following questions on the blackboard and ask the students to write their answer in the notebooks.
· Where is the dustbin in your class?
Answer: The dustbin is lying in the corner.
· Where is the blackboard placed?
Answer: The blackboard is placed on the wall.
· Where is the bag/briefcase lying?
Answer: The bag/briefcase is on the floor/ under the table.
· Where is the bundle of newspaper is lying? Answer: The bag/briefcase is on the floor/inside the cupboard.
· Encourage students to give complete answers.
Sum Up / Conclusions
· Quickly revise the lesson with the students.
· Ask the students to do as you say and then give them commands using position words, For example:
0. Put both your hands on the desk.
1. Put your pencil under your chair.
2. Put your hands in your pockets.
· Ask students to use the following position words in their sentences and write them in their notebooks:
Under, in, on
· Involve the students in solving problems given in exercise at the end of unit/ chapter.