Lesson Plan of Present Continuous Tense
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Illustrate the use of tenses, (simple present and continuous, simple past and continuous and simple future tense) previously learnt in their speech and writing.
Information for Teachers
- Present Continuous Tense is used for describing activities and for actions taking place at the time of speaking.
Subject +is/am/are + 1st Form of the verb + ing
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, flash cards of different word
Write the following sentences on the board.
- I am going to school.
- She plays in the park.
- He is eating a chocolate.
- You gave her a present.
Ask the students to identify the tense in each sentence.
Briefly discuss Present / Past Continuous Tense
Ask a volunteer who is a good actor to come forward.
Tell the student that it is an activity in which he/she will be
Acting / expressing his/her thought without speaking.
The student acts out the situation given below without speaking.
The rest of the class has to tell what the actor is doing. .
After every action ask students what the boy/girl is doing
- You are washing clothes.
- You dry your hands.
- You dial a number.
- You talk on the phone.
- You write some information.
- You put the phone down.
- You wash your clothes again.
Give them the following sentences and ask them to supply present continuous. .
- We ________ not ________ a book at the moment (read)
- My father ________ to the Police officer yesterday. (talk)
- Ahmad and Ayesha ________ not _______ on the bus. (ride)
- The boy’s _____________ in the lack / pond. (swim)
- We ____________ table tennis right now. (play)
- Ahmed ____________ on the computer last week. (work)
Sum up / Conclusion
Elicit the difference between Present Continuous and Past Continuous Tense.
Write the following sentences on the board and ask the students to change them in present continuous tense.
- I watched a movie which was not interesting at all.
- Ali ran after the kitten to catch it.
- I get ready for school early in the morning.
- People laughed at the foolish behavior of Amir.
- Ahmed drives his father’s car without his permission.
Any related activities must be done from the text book.