Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Demonstrate use of pronouns as subject and object.
Information for Teacher
· A pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun. Examples: he, she, it, they, someone, who
· Pronouns can do all of the things that nouns can do. They can be subjects, direct objects, indirect objects, object of the prepositions, and more.
· A subject pronouns acts as the subject of a sentence-it performs the action of the verb.
· The subject pronouns are he, I, it, she, they, we, and you.
(He can spend a lot of time in reading books.)
(After lunch, she and I went to the planetarium.)
· An object pronouns acts as the object of a sentence-it receives the action of the verb. The object pronouns are her, him, it, me, them, us and you.
(Ahmed gave me a good book to read)
(Mr. Salem taught him English)
Chart, board, flash cards, marker/chalk
Worm up activity
· Write a sentence on the board with the subject and object pronouns in it.
· Ask students to divide it into subject/verb/object.
He /will not give /him the books.
· ask the following questions from the students and note their responses on the board:
Q1. What is a sentence?
(Expected response: a group of words arranged in a meaningful manner)
Q2. Could you divide a sentence according to the function?
(Expected response: Subject / Verb / Object)
Q3. What is the difference between the subject and object?
(Expected response: Subject is the noun/pronoun at the beginning of the sentence. Object is a
Noun, noun phrase or pronoun that refers to a person or thing that is affected by the actionOf the verb)
· Write the given or similar sentences on the board.
· With the help of students underline all the pronouns in the sentences.
· List subject and object pronouns in two columns.
I. I don’t know her.
II. You should make sure that you succeed.
III. He is telling him a story.
IV. She is helping her with the homework.
V. It fell down and broke its head.
VI. We are calling them towards us.
VII. They are taking them for a picnic.
· Ask the students to work in pairs and use any 10 of these pronouns (5 from each column) in sentence.
Sum up / Conclusion
· Ask any one of the students to repeat the use of definite article.
· Write the following sentences on the board and ask the students to correct the sentences by providing the correct pronouns.
· Ask the students to work in pairs.
1. Me am not feeling well.
2. He was waiting for they.
3. them aren’t coming today.
4. I will inform he about the meeting.
5. heis working on him project.
6. we couldn’t enjoy their summer vacation because us were given a lot of homework.
7. She is on his way home.
8. him is waiting for a cup of tea.
· Ask the students to write a paragraph using any five of the object pronouns.
2 thoughts on “Subject & Object Pronouns”
Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post!
It’s the little changes that produce the biggest changes.
Many thanks for sharing!
Appreciaate you blogging this