Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Recognize and use words similar and opposite in meaning
Information for Teachers
· Similar means having same meanings.
They are also called synonyms.
· Opposite words are also called Antonyms.in grade 111, we use direct opposite e.g. big/small, old/new, dirty/clean etc.
· Opposite are often adjectives as they describe (words) e. g. old book, small cat etc.
Material / Resources
Board, chalk/marker, worksheet, charts, textbook.
Worm up Activity
· Ask the students randomly to tell anything about the following:
· Big in the class / anything small in the class.
· Clean in the class / anything dirty in the class.
· Dull / black / white / colorful in the class.
· New in the class / anything old in the class.
· After this activity, tell the students that they will learn some similar and opposite words.
· Write the following words on the board.
· Old, long, difficult, big, hard, tall, heavy, new, small, beautiful, cold, short.
· Ask the students to work in groups and tell the words and their opposite from the given list of words.
· Once the students have done with the opposite, discuss similar meanings of the words with them. Let the students guess.
· Help when required.
· Ask the students to note down the similar and opposite meaning words in their notebooks side by side.
· Write the following activity on the board.
· Find the word next to it that is the synonym.
1. Bad; awful, silly
2. Pretty; beautiful, ugly
3. Thin; fat, lean
4. Big; large, small
5. Talk; speak, silent
6. Wet; dry, soaked
7. Quick; slow, fast
8. Glad; happy, sad
· Draw three columns on the writing board and ask the students to draw the same in their notebooks e. g.
Similar meaning words
Opposite meaning words
· Ask the students to guess the meanings of difficult words in pairs.
· Ask them randomly about the meanings of the difficult words.
· Ask them to write similar meaning words and opposite meaning words in respective columns.
· Tell them to note the words and meanings side by side on their notebooks.
· Once they understand all the meanings, ask them to put them in the columns accordingly.
· Take rounds to monitor and help the students, where required.
Sum up / Conclusion
· Conclude the lesson by asking the students:
What are synonyms? Given example:
What are antonyms? Given example:
· Assess students’ performance through activity 1 and 2.
· Take a round and ask students about their scores.
· Involve the students in solving problems given in exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
· Ask the students to consult a dictionary to find out opposite or similar meaning words of the following:
Old long difficult
Big hard tall
Heavy fast small
1 thought on “Synonyms/Antonyms”
The lesson plan is a good reference..please allow me to download some of your uploaded files..Thank you.