Students’ Learning Outcomes
· Recognize that ‘ed’ has three sounds i.e. ‘d’, ‘t’, ‘id’ as in looked, danced and landed
Information for Teachers
· The lesson will help to improve pronunciation. The students have already learnt about verbs in the previous lessons.
· Recap the concept in this plan, then focus on the given SLO.
· Verbs: They are the words or doing words.
Write, eat, drink, play, dance, land, fly, run, etc.
· Whisper game:
A word or action is whispered in the ear of one student. While the rest of the class doesn’t know what is said to the student. The class tries to guess and find out by observing the actions of student.
· A worksheet for making extra practice of Short Vowel sounds is also attached at the end of the lesson. This attached worksheet can also be used as an assessment tool.
· While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also use the textbook where required.
Material / Resources
Chalks, board, markers, textbook, charts
Worm up Activity
· Warm up: (whisper game) Call one student and whisper in her ear; walk’.
· Tell the student to stop. Then ask the others, ‘what did Aysha do?’
· All the students look, observe and then guess his/her action, as what he/she did?
( Answer: Ayesha walked in the class. Clap for the student who gives correct answer).
· Call another student and whisper in his/her ear: ‘jump’.
· Tell the student to stop. Then ask the others, ‘what did Tariq do?’
· They guess what he did:
(answer: jumped. Clap for the student who gives correct answer,)
· Call another student and whisper in his ear: ’knock out the door’
· Tell the student to stop. Then ask the others, ‘what did Omar do?’
( Answer: knocked at the door. Clap for the student for guessing the correct answer).
· Students should write the definition of verb in their notebooks. (they might have already written it but they can write it again).
· (verb are action words. For example: clap, run, play)
· Tell the students that when the action is over and finished, the verb becomes ‘past’ and we call
· it the past form. To explain this you can act, walk in class. Ask the students, ‘what am I doing?’ students wil reply, ‘walking’. You say, “good” if the answer is correct. Now stop walking and stand in front of class. Ask them: what did I do a few minutes ago? If the students say: walk or walking then correct them by saying, walked.
· Repeat your question, ‘what did I do a minute ago? Students must say ’walked’. Correct them if they don’t give the right answer.
· Draw five columns on the board as given below. In column one write the verbs used in the whisper game. (walk, knock, jump)
Present form of verb
Past form of verb
/t/ sound verbs
/d/ sound verbs
/id/ sound verbs
0.‘ed’ endings are pronounced ‘t’, if the end of the verb sounds k, s, ch, sh, f, p, th.
0. ‘ed’ endings are pronounced ‘id’. If the end of the verb sounds like ‘t’ or ‘d’.
· Pair up the students. Let them think and tell the past form of the verbs given in the table. You can add more words as given below.
Present form of verb
Past form of verb
Jump, discuss, land, provide
Jumped, discussed, landed, provided
· Record the correct answer on board like this in column 1 & 2.
· Ask the students the pronunciation of each word.
· Inform them that the words ending in ‘ed’ have three ending sound. ‘d’, ‘t’, ‘id’.
· Write the words under correct sound in columns 3,4 and 5.
· All the students must practice the last sound of each word exactly.
· Divide the class into pairs, in pairs, they think of one more past form of verb having ‘d’, ‘t’ or ‘id’ sound each and add it to the list given above. Each pair must help each other to practice the sounds.
Sum up / Conclusion
· Ask the students to make the table drawn on the writing board in their notebooks.
· Discuss the table and their responses in Activity 2 to recap the learning from this lesson.
· Assess the students’ understanding of the sounds through their correct responses during introduction, activity 1 and sum up.
· Involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit / chapter.
· Ask the students to write the past form of the words given below and also tell if it has a /d/, /t/, /id/ sound. Present forms of verbs: clap, talk, ask, pass, plant, report.
Pronunciation: Past readings
Write the past tense of each verb in the correct column below, according to the pronunciation of the ed ending.
1. Happened 2. Worked 3. Lived 4. Pushed 5. Decided
6. shouted 7. Danced 8. Visited 9. Laughed 10. Stayed
11. pained 12. Rained 13. Called 14. Needed 15. Talked
‘t’ sound ‘id’ sound ‘d’ sound
_______________ ____________ ____________
__________________ _____________ ____________
__________________ ______________ _______________
_________________ ________________ ______________