Lesson Planning of Addition and Subtraction numbers of Complexity and of arbitrary size
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Add numbers of complexity and of arbitrary size.
- Subtract numbers of complexity and of arbitrary size.
Information for Teachers
- While adding and subtracting numbers we add or subtract digits like; ones to ones, tens to tens and so on.
- Involve the students in making sums of complexity.
- Algorithm will remain same for any simple to complex sum of numbers.
- While teaching the lesson, also consult textbook at all steps where and when needed.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / duster, pen, paper, textbook
- Ask students following questions;
- How do we solve addition and subtraction sums?
- Have you ever heard the term “carry forward and borrow”?
- Write a few sums in horizontal way on the board i.e.
382,940 – 36, 026, etc.
92,565 + 2,914, etc.
- Ask students how many places each number has?
- How to write numbers in vertical way to add and subtract?
- Solve sums with the help of the students.
- Make two groups of the class.
- Select a few sums from the textbook (addition and subtraction both) of complexity.
- Write those sums on the board in horizontal way.
- Call students from both groups one by one, to solve the sums.
- If they solve correct, give them five points, for incorrect answers deduct 3 points.
- Assign 7 to 10 sums for each group
- Counts points t the end, group with more points will be winner.
- Ask students to calculate mentally and answer;
The length of a playground is 219 m and width is 175 m. how much length is greater than the width?
The Length of playground = 219 m
The width of playground = – 175 m
The length is greater than the width? = 44 m
- Add or Subtract
- 9 Billion – 800 Million, etc.
- Some questions will be difficult for them to answer, let them think and then further explain it to them.
- Make loop cards like given below;
- Distribute cards at random in the class.
- Ask the students to calculate the answer of the question on their card.
- Ask the student, who has the start card to stand up and read the question loudly.
- Ask the remaining students to listen to the question carefully and solve it.
- The one who has this answer written on his card will stand up and say I have—————- and read his question loudly by saying;
- Who has—————–?
- So the loop will continue till the all students are done with their questions and answers and reach to the END CARD.
- More rounds can be played on availability of time.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Rules for addition and subtraction remain same even with larger numbers.
- Addition or subtraction of numbers is used in daily life like;
- Difference of population of Pakistan and India
- Total amount for Education budget of Pakistan for past five years
- A house purchase for 6 million and old for 7 million, the profit made over that.
- Write numbers 3, 4,5,6,7 and 8 on the board.
- Make few questions of the addition or subtraction by using different combinations of the above numbers.
- Call students at random to solve the questions (call sow workers on the board to encourage them)
- Ask students to select any five ads, for footballs, from classified section of the newspaper. Sale those footballs, and show how to make more money by selling those footballs,. Also show how much total amount they have earned?