Lesson Planning of Comparison of Numbers
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Compare 2 or 3 –digit numbers (Hundred, Tens and Ones)
Information for Teachers
- When we compare any two 2-digit numbers, first we compare digits at Tens place and then digits at Ones place.
- When we compare any two 2-digit numbers, first we compare digits at Hundreds place then digits at Tens place then digits at Ones place.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, textbook, chart
- Ask students if I have 10 rupees in one hand and 18 rupees in the other hand which amount is greater?
- Take their response and encourage them.
- Tell them that we compare any two numbers with the help of its place value chart.
- For comparison we start from left hand side.
- But in place value table we write from right hand side.
- Today we will learn how to compare 2-digit and 3-digit numbers.
- Draw a place value table on the board and explain the students.
- In a 2-digit number we have two place values to be compared that is Tens and Ones.
- Tens are greater than Ones.
- So, first we compare Tens and then Ones.
- If we have same digit at Tens place we move to the Ones and compare its digits.
- In 10 and 15 we have same digits at Tens place so we get no idea which number is greater.
- So we move to digit at Ones place.
- We see that 0 is less than 5.
- Hence 15 is greater than 10.
- Write on the board 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500?
- Ask the students which number is greater out of these?
- Take their feed back.
- Make a place value chart on the board.
- Ask the students to observe the Hundreds column.
- Now call any student and ask him which number is the greatest? (500)
- Tell the students that comparison of any 3-digit number is just like the comparison of 2-digit number.
- In 3-digit numbers first we compare hundreds then tens and then ones.
- Draw the following chart on the board.
- Tell them that in 237 and 239 the hundreds place value is the same, so we check tens place, its same again.
- Now check ones place, it is different.
- Which number is greater out of 7 and (9)?
- Hence, 239 is greatest.
Sum up / Conclusion
- In 2-digits numbers first we compare tens and then ones.
- In 3-digits number first we compare hundreds then tens and then ones.
- Compare the following numbers.
- Which number is greater out of 400 and 500 and why?
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in their textbook.