Lesson Planning of Comprehension Questions
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Recognize the function of different question words to write short answers.
Information for Teachers
- Questions help us in getting information.
- ‘WH’ question words (what, who, whose, where, which, when and why) are used to ask questions.
- Short answers are given ‘wh’ questions.
- Students should be encouraged to make questions and also to write answers to them.
- During teaching the lesson, the teacher should also use the textbook where and when required.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, word flashcards of different ‘wh’ question words
The teacher can draw on the board
- Ask the students where they have to use the ‘wh’ words, as; if their friend is absent, what will you ask him / her the next day?
- Paste the chart of ‘wh’ question words on the side of the writing board.
- Ask the students what these words are used for. Encourage them to give examples as well.
- Make corrections if a student makes any mistake.
- Write the following sentences on the writing board and ask the students to make questions by adding the correct question word. Involve most of the students in the activity.
a. _______________ is absent today?
b. ________________do you reach the school in the morning?
c. ________________ is your teacher`s name/?
d. ________________books are on the table?
e. ________________do we wear sweaters in winter?
f. _______________are my shirts and shoes?
- Explain the use of each questions word and make corrections on the spot so that the students know the correct function of each question word.
- Ask the students to read the following passage and answer the questions given at the end. Monitor and help the students while reading.
- My name is Mohsin. I live in Bahawalpur. I come from Pakistan. I have five brothers and one sister. I am the oldest.
- I go to school Monday to Friday. I come home at 3 pm, eat dinner at 8, and go to bed at 10 pm.
I walk to school. It is very hot, so I wear a hat. At the weekend, I help my father in the shop. Q. 1 What is his name?
Q. 2 Where does he come from?
Q. 3 How many brothers have he?
Q. 4 . How many sisters have he?
Q. 5 Who is the eldest brother?
Q. 6 How does he go to school?
Q. 7 When does he go to bed?
Q. 8 Why does he wear a hat?
Sum up / Conclusion
- Repeat for the students that ‘wh’ question words are used to ask questions and these questions have short answers.
- Ask one or two students to tell the function of ‘where’, ‘who’ and ‘whose’ by giving examples.
- Once the students are done with the activities ask them to tell the answers.
- Write the correct answers on the writing board and ask the students to correct their work side by side.
- Appreciate the students on the correct answers.
- Ask the students to write answer to the following questions in your notebooks:
- Why are you late for school?
- When do you clean your room?
- Where do you live?
- Who is your best friend?
- Whose country is Pakistan?
- Which is the largest city of Punjab?
- What does your father do?
Answer Key: Activity 02