Lesson Planning of Concept of Whole Numbers 0-9( Ascending or Descending Order)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Count backward from 9
- Arrange numbers in ascending and descending order.
Information for Teachers
- Sometimes counting from last number to the first is essential for recognition. Moreover the forward counting (ascending order) and backward counting (descending order) are of much importance while we are travelling towards a destination and coming back. We count the milestones on both ways.
- Ascending order– Arranging in increasing order (smaller to bigger)
- Descending order– Arrange in descending order (bigger to smaller)
- Don`t use the word ascending and descending instead use the words increasing and decreasing order.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is required.
Material / Resources required
Writing board, chalk/marker, color pencils, match box with sticks, beads and number cards, prepare a classroom display with chart paper or simple paper cut in balloon shapes of different sizes to explain smaller and bigger, etc.
- Draw small boxes with chalk on the floor, and write a number in each box from (1 to).
- Ask one student to stand on ‘1’ and say that he/she have to go to ‘5’ taking one step at a time. Ask: which number should he/she step on now? (2) and now? (3) (4) (5)
- Now ask another student to stand on 5. Say: he/she has to get to ‘1’ taking steps in reverse. Which number should he/she step on – (4) (3) (1)
- Repeat the steps with different students for numbers 1-9
- Ask what does “increasing” mean?
- What does “decreasing” mean?
Sum up / Conclusion
- Conclude that: as;
- Writing numbers from 9 to 0 is backward counting.
- Writing numbers in this way from bigger to smaller is called decreasing order and writing in smaller to bigger is called increasing order.
- Ask students to sit in groups.
- Give each group a box with mixed numbers cards 0-9.
- Ask every group to arrange numbers cards in ascending and descending order.
- Teacher is also required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
- Ask students to show through drawings the concept of increasing and decreasing order.