Lesson Planning of Conversion of Units of Length (Meters into Centimetres)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Convert meters into centimetres and vice versa.
Information for Teachers
- A centimeter is a unit of length which is denoted as cm.
- Cent means 100 therefore, 1 m = 100 cm.
- Multiply the meters with 100 to convert them in centimetres, so, cm = m x 100.
- Divide the centimetres with 100 to get meters, so, as; m = cm ÷ 100
- Centimeter is used to measure small lengths.
- A centimeter is approximately the width of the fingernail of an adult person.
- Centipede is called by this name because it has 100 legs.
- During this lesson the teacher should consult with textbook at each level where required.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, measuring tape, scale, textbook
- Write ‘meter and centimeter’ on the board and ask the students to share, whatever they know about these units.
- Ask the students have you seen your scale, there are two measuring units on it i.e. inches and centimetres.
- Tell them that today we will learn how to convert meters into centimetres and centimetres into meters.
Conversion from centimetres to meters.
Sum up / Conclusion
- 1 m = 100 cm
- Multiply the meters with 100 to convert into centimetres, as; cm = m x 100
- To convert centimetres into meters we divide the centimetres with 100, as; m = cm ÷ 100.
- To convert the meters into centimetres in the decimal numbers move the decimal point to two places on the right.
- To convert the meters into centimetres in the decimal numbers move the decimal point to two places on the left.
- Complete the following table.
- Give some questions to solve from the text book.
- The length of Sarah’s scarf is 1.5 m. how much is the length of scarf in centimetres?
- Ali has a 4 m long rope. He wants to divide it into three equal parts. What will be the length of each part in centimetres?
- My sister`s height is 156 cm. how any meters tall is she?
- Fahad has two bundles of ribbons. The length of purple ribbon is 3.2 m and the length of pink ribbon is 708 m. what is the total length of both the ribbons in centimetres?