Lesson Plan of Description of Events
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Describe events in a picture or a photograph.
Information for Teachers
- Skills to be developed are picture description and thinking skills.
- The students should be encouraged if they share their thoughts and ideas in complete sentences while describing the picture.
- The picture is attached at the end of the lesson.
- Giving a title means giving a name to the picture.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult the textbook at all steps where and when it is required.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, picture (attached in this plan) and stars (made from newspaper or coloured paper)
- Appreciate the correct answer by saying wonderful / very good!
- Ask them to name one thing having soft ‘g’, hard ‘g’. (Expected answer; soft ‘g’ giraffe, gypsy, hard ‘g’ gun, grass, goat, girl or all other answers attached in the previous lesson plan)
- Ask the students to describe what they see when they come to school.
- Ask them the questions and teach them focus on details.
- Show the students the picture attached at the end of this lesson plan.
- Divide the class in groups of five students each and ask them to discuss the three things in the picture with their group members. Give them ten minutes for discussion.
- Let the students describe the picture.
- Describe the events in the picture.
- (Expected answer; it is a scene of sacrifice / qurbani in a house. The butcher is there to sacrifice a cow. The children are there to see it and the neighbor`s child is trying to see it as well).
- (The family has a very special cow that will take part in a race the next morning. They are afraid the owners of the other cows in the race will try and hurt her so they are gathered around the cow to protect her. The man is holding a knife to scare away anyone wanting to enter the house to hurt the cow)
- Name the things they see in the picture.(Expected answer; man, old man, trees, house, girl, boy, butcher, knife, rope, goat, sheep, camel, grass, cow, wall, basket, tub, cutting board)
- Ask them to give a title to the picture. (Expected answer; Title means give a name to it so its answer is “Eid-ul-Azha”, “In the City”, “At an old man`s house”, “Scene at home”)
- Remember at the titles that the students give to the picture may also be correct. Appreciate all of them by asking the students to clap for the whole class).
- Ask the students to write this event in their notebooks.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Conclude the lesson by asking the points that the students should remember while describing the picture.
- Assess the students` vocabulary, description and coherence while describing the picture. Assess the written work of the students and point out errors.
- Involve the students in solving problems given in exercise at the end of unit / chapter.
- Ask the students to make sentences with these words: like house, camel, grass, girl, tree
- Picture for activity: (Don`t cut this picture. Get a similar large picture or refer to the textbook for ant activity)