Lesson Planning of Geometry Box & Its Tools
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Use instruments of geometry box (pencil, straight edge / ruler, set-squares, divider, compass, scale, and protractor).
Information for Teachers
This is a protractor. It is used to measure angles.
It has the shape of half of a circle; therefore it only measures angles up to 180°. It has two scales: each scale from 0° to 180° one way to the other way.
One is lower scale (right to left) and other is upper scale (from left to right).
A divider, also known as a measuring compass, is a mathematical instrument used to measure the length of irregular lines and distances on maps or charts.
Set-squares are useful for drawing parallel lines and perpendicular lines.
A device known as a compass (or pair of compasses) is used by mathematicians and craftsmen in geometry to draw a circle or an arc.
Scale / Ruler are used to measure length of a straight line. It has centimeter, millimetre, and inches on it.
- During this lesson the teacher should also consult with textbook wherein and whenever it is required.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, geometry box, textbook
- Divide the class into proper groups.
- Ask them to open their geometry boxes and guess about its usage (Time limit 10 minutes)
- Take feedback of each group and then introduce the correct use, write the name and one sentence for each instrument on board.
- Tell the students that today we discussed usage of all tools in a geometry box.
- Recap the names and uses of all the instruments of geometry with students.
Question, Answer Session:
- How many instruments are in geometry box?
- How we use divider?
- Up to how many degree angle can we make or measure with protractor?
- Ask students to draw circle, parallel lines, triangle with the help of compass and set-squares.