Lesson Planning of Identify and use Appropriate Tone and Non-Verbal Cues
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Identify and use Appropriate Tone and Non-Verbal Cues for different communicative functions.
Information for Teachers
- Non-verbal cues are a communication in a social exchange by signs accompanying the words used in speech. Such cues include body language, tone, eye contact(gaze), voice, dress, gestures, intonation, facial expressions, silence (pause) etc. tone of voice (saying the same thing in different ways can give new meanings)
- Non-verbal signals are capable of delivering telltale messages. Successful interactions depend on both parties being able to use and read body language. Learn how to build confidence at work using proper non-verbal expressions, according to Forbes
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult with textbook at all steps where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, list of things in the surrounding
- Write the following sentence on the board. then call some students to say it in different styles using their body language, sound ups and down, speed, eye contact etc. each next student has to perform the same sentence but in a different away.
“This is my cat”
- Elicit from the students the different meanings expressed by the same sentence (like anger, happiness, comfort, sadness, welcoming, hate, etc.)
Class discussion, role play, individual and group work
- Discuss these pictures with the class and ask them to find more examples from their books.
Without using words
- Instruction: Make the students read and understand the three situations given in the table and communicate using words and without words (non-verbal cues).
Conclusion / Sum up
Ask the students that how we guess about our family member`s moods at different times. Elicit the concept from the students.
- Ask the students to find out one sentence / expression from their English book and express that with words and non-verbal cues.
- Teacher r is also required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at end of unit / chapter.
- Copy any cartoon character`s verbal and non-verbal cues.(only English cartoons or children programs in English). Ask students to perform in the class next day and let the class guess.