Lesson Planning of Measurement of Length and Mass
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Compare objects to identify: as;
- Long, longer, longest
- Short, shorter, shortest
- Tall, taller, tallest
- High, higher, highest
Information for Teachers
- Length is associated with the size of the gap between two places.
- Long is related to being of more length.
- High is related to the vertical from ground level.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, flashcards, objects e.g. pencils of different sizes, sticks of different lengths, 6” and 12” rulers
- Ask students to show any two fingers, as;
- Which finger is longer than the other?
- Which finger is shorter than the other?
- Show three candles of different sizes to the students and ask them which candle is the longest?
- Which is the shorter?
- Ask 10 students to stand according to their height from shorter to tallest.
- Ask them who is the tallest among them?
- Who is the tallest in the class?
- Ask them to arrange the objects according to length and show which one is the longest and the shortest.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Arrange three different sized objects on the table (sticks, pencils or chalks) on the board in such a way that the longest is placed in the center. Ask students to arrange them in increasing order of their length.
- Ask a few students to summarize what they have learnt in this lesson?
- Assess students` understanding by asking: as;
- Name the tallest student of your class.
- Name the shortest student of your class.
- Which is longer; door or window?
- Which is shorter; chalk or ruler?
- Teacher is also required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
Follow up Tasks
- Ask students to draw objects of varying heights and mark them by 1, 2, & 3 according to their lengthy.
- Ask children to make a list of at least 5 of their family members who are taller than them and 5 who are shorter than them.