Lesson Planning of Measurement of Length, Mass and Capacity (Addition of Units of Length)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Add measures of length in same units with and without carrying.
- Solve real life problems involving same units of length for addition with and without carrying.
Information for Teachers
- Same units of measurement can be added, as;
- Centimetre can be added into centimetre
- Meter can be added into meter
- Kilometre can be added into kilometre.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult text book at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, stick, ruler, meter rode and measuring tape etc.
- Describe a situation
- There are four baskets two of apples and two for oranges
- Ask from students how many oranges and how many apples.
- Point out that we can sum apples with apples and oranges with oranges only.
- Teacher can use copies and book alternatively.
Inquiry, problem solving
Activity 1 (Problem solving)
10 cm + 15 cm =
1 0 cm
+1 5 cm
2 5 cm
Ask the students to add the following quantitative
40 cm + 10 cm
15 cm + 4 cm
35 cm + 12 cm
5 m + 62 m
123 km + 76 km
100 km + 85 km
Guide the students in writing unit digit under unit digit and tens digit under tens digit and hundreds digit under hundred digit.
4 0 cm 1 5 cm
+1 0 cm + 4
5 0 cm 1 9 cm
3 5 m 0 5 m
+ 1 2 m + 6 2 m
4 7 m 6 7 m
1 2 3 km 1 0 0 km
+ 7 6 km + 8 5 km
1 9 9 km 1 8 5 km
Ask the students to solve the following sums:
100 m + 100 m =
57 m + 15 m =
16 km + 69 km =
39 cm + 51 cm =
589 km + 306 km =
900 km + 100 km =
155 km + 715 km =
365 km + 26 km =
Activity 3 (Problem solving)
Nadia during her walk covers 425 km distance 1st day. Next day she covers 350 km distance. What is total distance she covers in two days?
- Ask from students:
- Distance covered on 1st day = 425 km
- Distance covered on 2nd day = 350 km
- Total distance covered = 775 km
- Inform to students that we have learned today how to add two or more lengths together.
- Ask from students:
- Can we add m into cm and km into m?
- Bring them to the point that they know that same units cm be added together.
- A boy has two pieces of string one with 47 m long and other 21m long. Find the total length of the string.
- Teacher is also required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit / chapter.
- Measure the heights of your family members and find the total height of them. Measure the lengths of all your books and find the total lengths of your entire book.