Lesson Planning of Multiplication of Fraction (Proper, Improper & Mixed)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Multiply two or more fractions (proper, improper & mixed).
Information for Teachers
- It`s a skill to be practiced for command.
- To multiply fractions:
- Convert each mixed number into an improper fraction.
- Multiply the numerators to make the numerator of the new fraction.
- Multiply the denominators to make the denominator of the new fraction.
- Simplify the resultant fraction.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should consult with textbook at all steps where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk, marker, duster, chart paper, textbook
- Ask following questions to elicit previous knowledge and announce about todays` lesson.
- What is multiplication?
- What did we do about multiplication of fractions in the last class?
- Shania has to read 10 books, she is done with half of them, and how many are left?
- I have 40 questions to do, I am done with ¾ of them, and how many I have done?
- 1 / 7 what type of fraction is this?
- 9/5 what type of fraction is this?
- What is 6 x 2/3?
- 3/2 x 4/5 =? This is what we are going to explore today!
- We will talk about more multiplying fractions (proper, improper and mixed fractions)
- For the multiplication of fractions:
- Multiply the numerators of the fractions.
- Multiply the denominators of the fractions.
- Place the product of the numerators over the product of the denominators.
- Simplify the fraction.
- Write following questions on the board and ask students to solve on the board.
- Encourage slow worker to come on the board to solve the sums.
- Ask students to solve the following story problem with the help of fractions.
- Sadie picked 2 ½ of a kilogram of strawberries. That afternoon, her sister ate 1/3 of the strawberries. How many kilograms of strawberries did her sister eat?
- Anila bought a bag of carrots that weighted 3 ½ kg. She made jam with 2/3 of the carrots. How many kg of carrots were used to make jam?
- A house is built on 750 square meters; its lawn is ½ of the 750. What is the area of lawn in square meters?