Students` Learning Outcomes
- Organize vocabulary items learnt in class in a notebook according to selected organizing principles, such as arranging words in alphabetical order and parts of speech.
Information for Teachers
- Parts of speech (word class) are nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives), adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions and inter-jection.
Noun is a naming word, as; chair, boy, Pakistan, etc.
Verb is a doing word, as; play, win, teach, etc.
Adjective is the quality of a noun, as; red, five, big, etc.
Pronoun is a word used in place of a noun, as; he, her, its, etc.
It shows relationship between two things, as; in, on, under, etc.
- Students are going to use words consciously and unconsciously which they have already learnt in the class.
- While teaching the lesson, consult the textbook where and when applicable
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, textbook, writing pad
- Recap parts of speech by asking students the following questions:
- What are nouns / verbs / adjectives / adverbs, conjunctions / interjections / preposition?
- Give examples in sentences.
- What is alphabetical order?
- Revise the concept of alphabetical order and parts of speech before doing the activities.
- Give the students vocabulary bank and tell them that they have to separate parts of speech in groups on drafting pads, copies or notebooks.
- Tell each group to make a list of those in alphabetical order.
- Instruct the students to do their work neatly. The name of their books should be verbs, nouns, adjectives or adverbs.
- Put these four books in one corner of the class and make that corner ‘Library Corner’.
- Sample of the vocabulary bank:
- (Teacher can vary the list according to the level of their class. Increase the words as per strength of the class)
- Ask the students to identify nouns, verbs, adjectives and pronouns in the following sentences.
- Ask them to write ‘N’ for nouns, ‘V’ for verbs, ‘A’ for adjectives ‘P’ for pronouns.
- 1) He takes care of his toys.
- 2) She is a responsible girl.
- 3) We colour our beautiful pictures.
- 4) My pencil is small.
- 5) Shania tells me an interesting story.
- Take vocabulary words from activity 2.
- Write all the nouns in alphabetical order.
- Write all the verbs in alphabetical order.
- Write all the adjectives in alphabetical order.
- Write all the pronouns in alphabetical order.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Ask them:
- What is dictionary?
- What is an alphabetical order?
- How is it useful to have the words organized in this way?
- Ask the students to write the following as nouns, verbs, adjectives or pronoun.
- After that instruct them to write the following words in alphabetical order;
- Encourage the students to keep on adding the new learnt vocabulary according to the organizing principles of words class and alphabetical order.