Lesson Planning of Number Operation (Addition)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Add numbers up to four digits (with and without carrying) vertically and horizontally.
- Solve real life problems involving addition.
Information for Teachers
- Students have solved the problem up to 3 digit number with and without carrying.
- They know units, tens, hundred are added in unit, tens and hundred respectively.
- Add carry in next place digits.
- Now add thousands in thousands.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, ball frame, balls of different color, Match sticks
- Ask students to solve the following questions
- i) 1+4 + 5 =
ii) 2+ 6 + 2 =
iii) 4 + 6 + 3 =
iv) 7 + 3 + 5 =
v) 6 + 5 + 9 =
vi) 5 + 5 +5 =
Activity method (demonstration, questioning answering technique, storytelling)
Th H T U
4 5 2 2
+ 3 4 6 6
G1 G2 G3 G4
5648 6458 4685 2577
+3574 +2757 +4347 +6545
- Teacher will ask what you have learnt to day.(Expected answer would be as; we add unit, tens, hundreds or thousands and then thousands)
- After adding units, tens, hundreds if we get more than 9, 1 is added in the next column as a carry.
- Write the story on the board.
- “In a cricket match 1st day came 4568 people and 2ndday 5370 people to see the match, find how many people came altogether”?
- Ask them to solve.
- Teacher is also required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit / chapter
- Convert the given mathematical statement into story ad draw ball frame, as;
- Write it on your note book / chart