Lesson Planning of Number Operation (Multiplication & Division)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Solve real life problems involving multiplication and division.
Information for Teachers
- Have the information of multiplication, multiplier and product.
- Multiplicand: Number to whom we want to multiply
- Multiplier: with which we multiply the number
- Product: result of multiplicand and multiplier, e.g. as;
- For multiplication, multiply unit first then tens
- Have the understanding for story and change this story into a mathematical statement.
- For division divide tens first then units
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.
Brain storming activity 1
- Ask the following questions
- Nadeem solves ‘5’ sums daily. How many sums will he solve in ‘3’ days?
- There are 5 fingers in one hand. How many fingers in ‘4’ hands?
- How many wheels do ‘4’ cars have?
- There were ‘16’ wheels of bicycle, how many bicycles were there?
Brain storming activity 2
- Divide the class in four groups
- Provide each group with 24 stones / match sticks
- Ask them to arrange in different groups as many you can and write arrangement
- Check their work
- Tell the story to the students.
- “Some friends came to see Ali at his home. Ali`s mother asked him to bring 4 packets of biscuits, if the cost of one packet is Rs 25 then how much did Ali pay to the shopkeeper?”
- Ask the student to read the story carefully and will ask the following question to convert and solve story into mathematical statement.
- Who came to see Ali? ( Expected answer would be as; His friends)
- Where did they come? ( Expected answer would be as; at Ali`s home)
- How many packets of biscuits did Ali buy? ( Expected answer would be as; 4 packets)
- What is the price of one packet? ( Expected answer would be as; Rs 25)
- What we have to find? ( Expected answer would be as; cost of 4 packets)
- How will you find total cost? ( Expected answer would be as; by adding ‘25’ four times)
- Ask one student to solve on the board.
- Price of one packet = Rs 25
- Cost of 4 packets = (25+25+25+25=100 Rs)
- Help the students to convert / solve.
- 4 packets of Rs 25 or 4 groups of 25 Rs or 4 x 25 Rs
- He will say we can solve it as;
- First multiply units or will solve with the help of students (e.g. 4 x 5 – 5 x 4 =20)225 225
- x 4
- Rs 20 = 2 groups of tens
- Then multiply tens (e.g. with match sticks makes bundles of ten)
- Total spent = Rs 100
- Divide the class in ‘4’ groups
- Provide each group with a story and ask them to understand and solve with stones making group.
- “There are ‘40’ students in a class. The teacher wants to perform an activity. he/she asks one of the student (Zara / Ahmad) to arrange them in groups of ‘5’, how many groups will be their”
- Facilitate them to solve the problem
- Ask one of the students to present their work on the board, if students are unable to solve you will solve with their help.
- The group which finishes the activity first will be the winner.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Ask what you have learnt from today`s discussion.
- What you have information of multiplicand, multiplier and product?
- How will you find total sum of different amount?