Lesson Planning of Place Value
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Recognize the place value of a 3-digit number.
- Identify the place value of specific digit in a 3-digit number.
Information for Teachers
- A number with 3-digit is known as a 3-digit number.
- A 3-digit number has 3 place values i.e. ones, tens and hundreds.
- An abacus is the one of the first counting device. It is a wooden/plastic framed tools with beads used to inculcate place value concept in children since childhood.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, textbook, abacus, place value chart of hundred (100)
- Tell the students 1 more than 99 are 100.
- We read it as one hundred.
- 99 is a 2-digit number.
- 100 is the smallest 3-digit number.
- It has 3 place values i.e. ones, tens and hundreds.
- Hang the place value for number 100 in front of class.
- Explain the students that we start writing the place value from right hand side and moves to the left i.e. ones, tens, hundreds
- Show your class an abacus and inform the students that we are going to see the number 100 on abacus.
- Call one student and ask him to put one red bead in hundred rods.
- Tell the students that there is no bead in ones and tens rod.
- There is one bead in the hundreds rod.
- It shows 1 hundred, 0 Tens and 0 Ones.
- It makes the number hundred (100)
- Tell that students that similarity we can show 110 on abacus.
- Call one student and ask him to put one bead in hundreds and Tens rod.
- Ask students that 1 hundred, 1 Tens and 0 Ones makes which number? (110)
- Repeat this activity with different numbers and encourage the students.
- Write any 3-digits number on the board.
- Ask the students how many digits it has? (3)
- Ask them can they tell the place value of digit 7? (Ones)
- Explain the students that to identify the place value of a specific digit we take help from the place value chart.
- Like if we put 104 in the place value chart.
- We start reading any 3-digits number from left hand side.
- The first digit from right represents ones.
- The second digit from right represents tens.
- The third digit from right represents hundreds.
- So the place value of digit 4 in number 104 is Ones.
- Write different 3-digits numbers on the board and ask the students place value of any specific digits.
Sum up / Conclusion
- 3-digits number has following place values Ones, Tens, Hundreds.
- We can identify the place value of a specific digit in any 3-digit number by putting it in place value chart.
- Make pictures of abacus on the board and ask the students to write the 3-digit number with the help of beads, sown on abacus.
Tick the correct place value of shaded number.
- What is the place value of digit 1 in 1000?
- Put 1000 in place chart.
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in their textbook.