LESSON PLANNING OF SOLVE APPROPRIATE PROBLEMS OF PERIMETER AND AREA Subject Mathematics Grade 5th
Students` Learning Outcomes
- The students will be able to:
o Solve appropriate problems of perimeter and area.
Information for Teachers
- Total measurement of the boundary of any closed shape is called perimeter.
- Units of perimeter can be measured in meter, centimeter and kilometre.
- Perimeter can be found by adding all the sides of a shape.
- Perimeter of square = 4 x length of one side.
- Area of a square = 2 x length of one side.
- Perimeter of rectangle = 2(Length +Breadth)
- Area of rectangle = Length x Breadth
- The area of any closed figure represents the region covered by that shape.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, pencil, paper, ruler, scissors, chart paper cutouts with shapes and sizes and text book
- Half coloured piece of two same size bread`s slices of rectangle shape was given to two children as mentioned in following figures.
- The child who got coloured piece as per fig (i) complaint that the received small piece,
- Now ask from students;
o Why coloured piece of fig (i) is looking larger?
o Is the area of both coloured pieces same? (Yes)
- Tell them that today we are going to discuss perimeter and area by solving real life problems.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Tell the students that today we have discussed perimeter and area in variety of ways. Repeat the key points of today`s lecture before end e.g. square units, area, perimeter etc.
o Perimeter is the distance around a closed figure.
o Area is the space or region occupied by a closed figure.
o Term area is used for example to carpet the whole room.
o Term perimeter is used for example to put a fence around the garden.
- If they find any difficulty in understanding the concept of area and perimeter then Give them more examples to make them understand the concepts of area and perimeter.
- Assign questions from the textbook to be done individually and record for assessment and follow up.
- Fill in the assessment sheet and display in the class.
- Involve students to solve the exercise questions given at the end of lesson of text book.
- Assign to the students following type of questions as homework.