Lesson Plan of Spelling
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Spell words studied in class both orally and in writing.
Information for Teachers
- Spelling skills require recognition and understanding of syllables and basic phonics (sounds).
- In English spelling, words are not always spelled according to the sound.
- Different graphemes (letters/cluster of letters) can represent the same sound e.g. ‘a’ sound can be represented as aeroplane, May, main.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, textbook
- Write the following words on the board: as;
- Ask the students to note them down in their notebooks.
- Recite, exercise, founder, walk, breakfast, prepare, punctual, badminton, always, advise, interest, members (You may select any 20 words from the textbook that you would like the students to learn spelling of).
- Once the students write these words in their notebooks, ask them to complete them in pairs but first read the words for them, and repeat each word twice, loudly and clearly.
- When they finished the activity, write the words with correct spelling on the board.
- Ask the students to correct their work and mark themselves.
- Ask the students to discuss what caused them confusion where they had made mistakes.
- Take rounds in class and ask the students about their scores.
Sum up / Conclusion
- To conclude the lesson, tell the answers to the following questions yourself or ask the students to tell their answers.
- What are syllables? Ask them to give example of one syllable words, two syllable words and so on.
- Ask them how syllables help them to learn and say word.
- Ask them o identify the vowel sounds in each syllable. When the students have done, ask them to exchange and check each other`s work and encircle the mistakes’
- Ask the students to do corrections.
- Involve the students to do corrections.
- Involve the students in solving the problems related to spellings given in the exercise of the textbook.
- Ask the students to exchange and read each other`s work and give feed back.
- Tell the students to write the second draft in the light of the feedback given by their peers.
- Ask the students to find out five words from their books or Oxford Junior Dictionary
- Break up the words in small syllables to learn the spelling.