LESSON PLANNING OF SUBTRACTION OF 2-DIGIT NUMBERS (WITH BORROW)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Subtract 2-digit numbers from 2-digit numbers with borrow.
- Solve real life problems of subtraction with borrow.
Information for Teachers
- General equation of subtraction is a – b = c or numerically 9 – 6 = 3
- Write values in columns.
- Larger value in upper row and smaller value in bottom row of the target values.
- Check the answer by adding it back.
- The result in subtraction is called difference.
- Prepare enough copies of the following on hard paper / chart paper.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult with textbook at all the steps where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, empty match boxes, stones / pebbles, counting frame, beads, number flashcards, denies blocks
- Select two students. One will be ‘tens’ and the other will be ‘units’.
- Give numbers to the tens student and Give the empty basket to the ones student
- Ask how the ones student can get numbers? Elicit “borrow”.
- Have the units student borrow from the tens student? (Clarify the terms ‘lend’ and ‘borrow”)
- Tell them that ‘tens’ lend 10 to units.
- Giving long basket (b) in a basket to the tens students (the second image above)
- Give one unit block (a) in a basket to the unit student.
- Ask how the unit`s student can get more units. Discuss and show to the students that the tens students is giving a loan to the units. Say, “We take (b) block from the tens and give it to the unit”
- Now how many units, the unit`s students have? (11)
- Explain that the one long group can be cut into ten units. Exchange the long for ten units.
- Repeat with different units in unit basket and ask to borrow from ten and counts after every borrowing.
- When 3 questions on writing board and ask students to solve by taking borrow e.g. 12 – 9, 25-9 and 91 – 5.
Write subtraction question (2-digit from 2-digit) such as;
- and give counting frame to students in group.
- Ask students to show given number 36 by inserting beads in unit and ten strings.
- Discuss subtraction of units by borrowing a ten.
- Ask students to record process of subtraction in their notebooks along with operating counting frame.
- Find the difference by counting number of beads at unit and ten strings.
- Repeat this activity for different questions, as such;
- Assign word problem related to subtraction (2-digit from 2-digit with borrowing) to students in group, as such;
- Ask students to discuss the problem presented in the situation.
- Ask students to discuss the ways to solve the problem.
- Can he sale pencils without opening the box? (no)
- Ask students to solve question on the given paper sheet, as such;
- Brainstorm with students on situations related to subtraction of 2-digits from 2-digits.
- Ask students to think, plan and perform a role play.
- Examples of situations:
- Call students to act out the situation of their own choice.
- Write the process of solving question on the board.
Sum up / Conclusion
Borrowing is always got from the next higher place.
- Borrower always gives 10 to the receiver.
- Write some subtraction questions (2-digit from 2-digit with borrowing) on board, solve with the help of students and also explain process of borrowing.
- Discuss the importance of subtraction in daily life by sharing some situations.
- Write some subtraction questions on the board. Ask students to solve questions.
- Give 5 subtraction questions (2-digit from 2-digit number with borrowing) to solve at home as such;
- Ask students to find a situation from daily life where they used the concept of subtraction. Also ask them how they solved the situation as such;
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in their textbook.