Lesson Planning of Subtraction of Units of Length
Students` Learning Out comes
- Subtract measures of length in same units with and without borrowing.
- Solve real life problems involving same units of length for subtraction with and without borrowing.
Information for Teachers
- Same units of measurement can be subtracted.
- Centimeter can be subtracted from centimeter
- Meter can be subtracted from meter.
- Milometer can be subtracted from kilometre.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is required.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, pointer, ruler, meter rod, and measuring tape
- Ask from students:
- If you have ten pieces of chocolate and you gave three pieces to your friends. How many pieces are left?
- Similarity if a piece of string is cut the length of the string is reduced and we can find the new length of the string.
Activity 1 (Problem solving)
4 9 cm 8 5 cm
– 3 7 cm -2 4 cm
1 2 cm 6 1 cm
3 5 m 8 5 m
-1 2 m – 6 2 m
2 3 m 2 3 m
1 9 8 km 1 8 5 km
– 7 6 km – 8 5 km
1 2 2 km 1 0 0 km
Sum up / Conclusion
- How we could find the difference between the lengths?
- Can we different units?
- Which is the smaller unit of length?
- Ask the students to find the difference between lengths:
- 60 cm – 20 cm = ———?
- 86 km – 52 km = ——–?
- 150 cm – 45 cm = ———-?
- 100 km – 89 km = ———-?
- Teacher is required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
- During morning walk. Ali walks 600 m, but his friend walks 520m. how much distance does Ali walks more than his friend?
- What is the difference between 452 km and 126 km ?