LESSON PLANNING OF TEXT AS MODEL FOR OWN WRITING
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Use the reading texts as models for their own writing.
Information for Teachers
- Model texts guide students in understanding sentence structure, grammar use and punctuation use. Therefore model text should have grammar and other features such as theme and vocabulary, according to the level of the children.
- Revise pronouns, capitalization, punctuation and use of Simple Present Tense for daily routines. They have learnt these concepts in previous classes or previous lessons.
- When using a reading text for this purpose, make sure that these aspects are highlighted so that students can apply these in their own writing.
- Repeat Simple Present Tense in the class.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/ marker, duster, textbook
- Ask the students the following questions:
§ How many family members do they have?
§ What is their mother`s/father`s profession?
§ Ask them what more can they tell about their family? E.g. routine, preferences, etc.
§ Tell them that today they are going to read about Zara’s family. This will help them write about their own family.
- Write the following text on the board or have photocopies or write on a chart paper & display on the board. Ask the students to read. (Copy the text but don`t underline the words)
- Once the students finish reading, ask to them following questions to check their comprehension:
Ø How many family members are there in the story?
Ø What is the age of Zahra`s father?
Ø What information is given about him?
Ø What does her mother do?
Ø What information is given about her?
Ø What are the names of Zahra`s brother and sister?
Ø What do they do?
- Tell the students that how the information is organized?
- Ask students to notice the sentence structure. The underlined phrases can be used for their own writing.
- Explain the meaning of unfamiliar words.
- Ask the students to write a similar text about their family using the same structure. Tell them that they can use the underlined words in their own writing.
- Monitor and help the students while writing.
Sum up/ Conclusion
- Conclude the lesson by telling the students that a model writing or text can help them in writing their own text. They just need to comprehend that text. They can write their own text with the help of the read text.
- Ask the students:
Ø What information do we give when writing about our family members?
Ø How did the model paragraphs help them in writing their own paragraphs?
- Ask the students to exchange and check each other`s work using the following checklist.
- Ask them to write a second draft in the light of the feedback given by their peers.
- Involve the students in solving problems given in exercise at the end of unit / chapter.
- Ask the students to write an essay on ‘My friend and his / her family’. Ask them to bring the essay in the next class. Check their essay in the next class and help them.