Lesson Planning of Time Conversion of Units of Time
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Convert years to months, months to days and weeks to days.
Information for Teachers
- Day, week, moth and year are units to measure long time spans, as;
- I year = 12 months
- 1 month = 4 weeks
- 1 month = 30 days
- 1 week = 7 days
- We use multiplication while converting year to month, month to weeks, and month to days and week to days.
- Week = days x 7, month = weeks x 4, year = month x 12
- While converting days to weeks, weeks to months and months to years we use division, as;
- Week = days
- Month = days
- Year = month
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, calendar, text book
- Tell them that today we will convert years to months, months to days and weeks to days.
- Ask the students do you know how many days does a month have? (Expected answer would be as; 30)
- Tell them that different months have different number of days (like 28, 30 or 31
- Call any student that knows names of months and days to say in front of the class.
- Tell them, 7 days form a week, 4 weeks form a month and 12 months form a year.
- How much months or year does it take to promote to next class? (Expected answer would be as; 1 year or 12 months)
- How many days you come to school in 1 week? (Expected answer would be as; 6 days)
(i) 8 years
(ii) 11 years
(iii) 5 years
(i) Month = ______ days.
(ii) 6 months = _______ days.
(iii) 10 month = ______ days.
Conversion from weeks to days:
Sum up / Conclusion
- Repeat key concepts of the today`s concepts and finish lecture.
- Days, weeks, months and years are units to measure long time spans, as;
- 1 year = 12 months,
- 1 month = 4 weeks,
- 1 month = 30 days,
- 1 week = 7 days.
- We use multiplication while converting large number to small (e.g. year to months)
- Week = days x 7, month = weeks x 4, year = month x 12.
- While converting small number to large we use division (e.g. days to months).
- Week = days / 7
- Month = days / 7
- Year = months / 12
- Ask them to convert the following so you can assess today`s learning.
- 5 weeks = _______ days.
- 4 months =________ weeks.
- 6 years = ________ months.
- 100 days = ________ months
- 225 days = ________ weeks.
- 6000 days = ________ years.
- 13 months = _____ years.
- 26 weeks = _____ months
- Ask them to solve these questions in your homework.
- Q. no. 1: Convert your age (from years) to months and days.
- Q. no. 2: Convert 3 months 4 weeks in days.
- 3 months 4 week = (3 x 30 + 4 x 7) days
- 12 weeks = (90 + 28) days = 118 days.