Lesson Planning of Two Consonant Clusters in initial and final position
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Pronounce with reasonable accuracy, common two consonant clusters in initial and final position
- Classify words that begin or end with the same two consonant clusters.
Information for Teachers
- Competency to develop is to pronounce and spell ‘sh’ consonant sound in the beginning and ending position.
- Reinforcement of five vowels of English Language a, e, i, o, and u
- All the letters of English Language besides vowels are called consonants.
- When we combine two or three consonants they make consonant cluster words, cluster means group, bunch or collection.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, textbook, flash cards
- Children will brain storm A-Z English letters: read aloud A – Z letters of English language.
- Discuss in pairs the vowels and consonants of English language.
Approaches: pair-work, discussion method, written
- Think and discuss in pairs the words that start with ‘sh’ consonant and end with sh.(Possible answer: shoe, ship, shop, sheep, shell (initial / starting) and cash, push, brush, fish, dish (final / ending position ‘sh’.)
- Consonant cluster means having two letters like ‘sh’, ‘br’, ‘sp’, ‘ck’, ‘ch’, in the words. If children are unable to make words from ‘sh’, ‘br’, in the initial position then ask this question: We are focusing on words having consonants. Tell me what are the consonants of English language?
- Even if we combine two or three consonants they make consonant cluster words, cluster means group, bunch or collection.
- Divide the class into small groups having five or six students in each group.
Write words in your notebooks that have consonant in it (Answer: bow, now, how, wow, boy, toy, joy, etc.)
- Ask: What are the consonant letters of English in ‘boy’ and ‘now’? (Answer: ‘b’ and ‘y’, ‘now’ answer: ‘n’ and ‘w;.
- If ‘br’ is added to words then it is called two consonant letter cluster having words before a vowel comes, like brown, brow, brick, brain, break, the br coming before a vowel is a consonant cluster of English language, in each word.
- Draw the pictures on the writing board. (Optional: you can bring these pictures in class cut out from magazines or drawn on chart papers. Don`t cut out from this plan.)
- Look at the pictures drawn on the writing board and in pairs think and say what they are? (Answer: ship, sheep, shoes, shell, cash, brush, fish, dish, etc.)
- If the children don`t know the name of the item drawn on the writing board then tell them the English name and record it on the board.
- Learn the words written on the writing board aloud and then tell their pair fellows the same words and spellings. If children know what these things are called, appreciate them by asking all the class to clap for the children who have spelt the word correctly.
Conclusion / sum up
- Conclude the lesson and discuss about the rule of consonants.
- Name few things that having ‘sh’ in beginning. (Possible answer: ship, shoe)
- Name few things that having ‘sh’ as final sound (possible answer: fish, dish)
- Teacher is required to involve the student in solving the problems given in the exercise at end of unit / chapter.
- Write 2 words having ‘sh’ in the initial and final position.