Lesson Planning of Use of Colon
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Recognize the function of colon and use it before a series of items.
Information for Teachers
- The colon (: ) is used at the beginning of a list. The phrase before the colon can stand alone. After a colon the pause should be a little longer than period/full stop, as;
- There are four seasons: summer, autumn/fall, winter and spring.
- While teaching the lesson, consult the textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, things in classroom / surroundings, chart paper, textbook, duster
- Hold any three objects in your hand (e.g. pencil, sharpener and eraser) and tell the students about them. Make sure that you give a pause, as;
- I have three things in my hand: a pencil, a sharpener and an eraser.
- Then write this sentence on the writing board.
- Ask some students to come forward and bring three or four things with them. Ask them to repeat what you did before them. Tell them the pause is important.
- Highlight the use of colon in the end.
Sum up/ Conclusion
- Ask the students to explain the rule of using colon with examples.
- Explain the question to the students and ask to tick mark the sentences with the right use of colon.
- Tick the right one which shows the correct use of “colon”.I love: mushroom, cheese, and omelet.
- I love a huge breakfast: mushrooms, cheese, and omelet.
- I like a new house to be all of the following: modern, spacious, airy
- The new house was: modern, spacious and airy.
- These are a few of my favorite things: kheer, Biryani and more kheer.
- For lunch I would like: kheer, Biryani and more kheer.
- My favorite fruits are: apple, banana, and grapes.
- These are my favorite fruits: apple, banana, and grapes.
- In the bag were: scissors, a hairbrush and her address book.
- In the bag were the following: scissors, a hairbrush and her address book.
- Ask the students to rewrite the sentences using colon (: ).
- Here`s what I want you to do bring my bag, go to the shop, and bring apples.
- You will need the following back to school items pencils, erasers, and markers.
- The places I like to visit are as follows, Italy, France and Canada.
- I have three more phone calls: to make my mom, my sister, and my brother.
- You will need to bring three things to the party: food, drink, and a gift for the hostess.
- The vase contains beautiful flowers: roses, tulips, and daffodils.
- Involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
- Make two sentences using colon. (different from all the examples done in the classroom)