Lesson Plan of Measuring Standard Units of Length
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Measure and write standard units of length including abbreviations.
Information for Teachers
- In grade level 3 we only concentrate to measure the small objects, but teachers can extend objective to develop the interest of students.
- While teaching the lesson, also consult textbook where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, ruler, meter rod, measuring tape, paper strips; paper pin, toothbrush, candle, paintbrush, key, nail, match stick
- Show a small scale to the students.
- Ask them to hold their scale in hand.
- Observe that some lines are longer and thicker that others; on the scale.
- These lines indicate centimeters.
- Reading on small scale start from 0cm to 15cm.
- Ask the students to measure the length of their pencil.
- Place the ruler in such a way that one of its straight edges touches both the ends of pencil (tip of lead to top).
- Make sure that the left lead is at zero.
- Count the measurement up to where top of pencil is placed on scale.
- Write down the length of pencil on your notebook; like as Length of my pencil = 10cm.
- Distribute the paper strips to students (all strips have a straight line segment of different length).
- Ask the students to measure the length of a line segment by using ruler.
- Ask them to write the measurement on strip and return it.
- Check their work and appreciate them.
- If they make a mistake, guide them properly.
- Place the things; candle, paper pin, toothbrush, paintbrush, key, nail, matchstick, and ruler on the table.
- Ask one of the students to pick anything from table and measure the length of it by using ruler.
- Write the name and measurement of object on the board. like as Length of candle is = 10cm
- Call one by one all students to perform this activity.
- Make a pair of each student.
- Fix the measuring tape on the wall by scotch tape.
- Call one of the pair and ask them to measure the height of each other.
- Ask one of the students to take off his shoes and stand straight against the wall.
- Put a book on top of his head. Make sure it is level. Mark off where it touches the measuring tape.
- Count the measurement and write their heights on board.
- Perform this activity by all pairs of students.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Sum up the concept by repeating the rules of measurement of length;
- Place the ruler in such a way that one of its straight edges touches both the ends of object.
- One of the ends of object should be placed on 0cm of scale.
- Count the measurement up to 2nd end of object is placed on scale.
- Assess the students by inquiring about the lengths of different objects and units used for measuring their lengths.
- Ask the students to draw and complete the following table on their notebook.
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in the textbook.