Lesson Plan of Solve real life problems involving Addition
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Solve real life problems involving addition.
Information for Teachers
- Real life problems mean the situations or problems happening in the real world.
- Through real world application, students are able to better comprehend the practical application.
- While teaching the lesson, also consult textbook where and when applicable.
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk / marker, duster, Mathematics textbook, chart (having the important points to solve real life problems)
- Illustrate the following number story in front of the class:
- Ask the students: How can we solve this question?
- After their response, call any student on the board and ask to write the given and required information from the number story.
- Tell the students that the word “altogether” means we have to find the total number of stamps collected. So we will do addition.
- Ask any student to solve the question on the board.
- Check the work and tell the students that these types of questions are called real life problems. Also we called them story based questions.
- Tell the students that let us practice different real life problems involving addition (with and without carrying)
- Display the following chart in front of the class:
- Explain each point from the chart with the help of example used in introductory activity.
- At the end, ask any student to repeat that points orally in front of the class.
- Write the following number story on the board:
- Read the question and ask the students to tell the given and required information.
- How many men in the town?
- How many women in the town?
- What we have to find?
- How can you solve this question?
- Collect their response and ask them to solve the question in their notebooks.
- Move through the class to check the work and correct the mistakes if any.
- On completion, solve the question on the board. Also introduce the words like ‘total’, ‘sum’, ‘altogether’ so that they could easily understand and solve the question.
- Divide the students in groups of 3 to 4.
- Write the following real life problem on the board:
- Ask the students to solve the question in their notebooks using the guidelines explained in Activity 1.
- Check the answer of any student from each group.
- Then ask those students to check the work of remaining students.
- At the end, announce the winner group having the students with more correct answers.
- Appreciate that group and ask the remaining groups to re-check their work and correct the mistakes.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Students will be asked to:
- Revise the procedure to solve the real life problems of addition with the help of chart used in Activity 1.
- There are 3450 girls and 5698 boys in a school.
- Find the total number of children in a school.
- Ask your father about the recent utility bills (electricity, gas, water). Find out the total amount of all the bills.
- Ask the students to solve the questions given in the textbook.