Lesson Planning of Number Operations (Addition of 3-digit numbers with carrying)
Students` Learning Outcomes
- Add 3-digit numbers and ones with carrying of tens and hundreds.
Information for Teachers
- Question should be written vertically and column headings (units, tens, and hundreds) should be mentioned. Sign of addition + shouldn’t be written under any column heading. There must be space between column headings and numbers to write carry.
- While teaching the lesson, the teacher should also consult textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is required.
H T U
4 5 6
+ 7 4 3
Material / Resources
Writing board, chalk/marker, duster, beads, counting frame, clips, paper strips, dices (you can make your own dices using cardboard from empty cartons. Make them bigger than the usual dice, like a 3 x 3 inch dice with numbers written on each side in bold writing)
- Write an addition problem on the board (3-digit with 2 or 3-digit numbers without carrying) on each strip e.g. Mala got 200 rupees as Eidy from her brother and Rs. 450 Eidy from her father. How much does she have altogether?
- Ask students to solve assigned questions on their notebooks.
Sum up / Conclusion
- Discuss with students what will happen when the sum of two digits becomes more than nine.
- Demonstrate with material that as soon as a number become more than 9 we replace ten with one in the next column heading and this process continue for next place.
- Give counting frame to students along with some questions to solve e.g. 445+5, 765+6, 794+9, 699+8, etc.
- Teacher is also required to involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.
Follow up Tasks
- Assign some addition questions (3-digits with 1-digits numbers with carry) to solve as homework.
- Sample Questions:
H T U
4 5 6
H T U
9 8 7