What efforts should be made towards the improvement of Standards in English in Institution in Pakistan
· The following are some of the suggestions for raising the standards of English in institution in Pakistan.
I. The policy regarding the place of English in our education system should be well-defined:
· The policy regarding the place of English in our education system should be well-defined.
This should be unwavering keeping in view the national and international reputation of English.
II. The teacher must keep in mind the aims of teaching English:
· The teacher must keep in mind the aims of teaching English. There are:
a. To enable the student to understand English when spoken.
b. To enable him /her to write English
c. To enable him/her to speak English
d. To enable him/her to read English
· He must know the standard of attainment to be reached in each class.
III. Distinct efforts should be made to ensure that the teachers of English themselves possess a good command of English:
· Distinct efforts should be made to ensure that the teachers of English themselves possess a good command of English. Some content courses like grammar must be included in the teaching course.
IV. Refresher courses should be arranged for the in-service teachers of English:
· Refresher courses should be arranged for the in-service teachers of English. The teacher should encourage reading journals to keep themselves informed of the new developments in teaching the language.
V. The teachers must be made thoroughly conversant with the principles of the structural Approach:
· The teachers must be made thoroughly conversant with the principles of the structural Approach. They should give due importance to pattern practice, drill work and situational approach in their teaching.
VI. The examination in English need to be improved:
· The examination in English need to be improved. The question should be properly framed so that they really test the standards’ master of the language skills. Cramming should be discouraged. There is also need for introducing oral test in English. The administration of examinations needs to be made more effective.
VII. Necessary audio-visual aids should be made available to schools:
· Necessary audio-visual aids should be made available to schools. The teacher should know how to prepare inexpensive aids. He should also to know how to use certain aids like Most of the schools function without aids such as gramophone records. Tape recorders, film strips, radio, television, multimedia, newspaper reading, internet etc.
Even some inexpensive aids like flash cards, charts, pictures etc. are not available in them.
VIII. Reduce the number of students in the class:
· Although it is not possible to reduce the number of students in the class, yet the teacher may divide the class into groups and appoint bright students as group leaders. Thus each student can get time for practice.
IX. The teacher should reduce the use of the mother tongue to the minimum in the classroom:
· The teacher should reduce the use of the mother tongue to the minimum in the classroom.
X. Career Counseling:
· There should be people for profession counseling of children so that they could get to know that what they have to do in future. Parents should also appreciate what a child wants to do in life and they should not enforce their decisions on children.
XI. Equality and Quality in Syllabus:
· Govt. should implement similar course and syllabus in all provinces and Boards to make sure that everyone gets similar education.
XII. Seven Mainstay of English Speaking:
· Read books.
· Grasp the context of the text.
· Gauge the writer’s thought /emotions and draw a mental picture.
· Practice of speaking English in front of mirror.
· Go slow when you start.
· Listen with full alertness.
· Pay attention to the kinds of words uses, tone of the speaker, and the speed of their speech.